Riley Construction provided Design-Build services for the 731,000 SF Distribution center for Associated Wholesale Grocers. The facility features 500,000 SF of dry storage and 250,000 SF of cooler/freezer storage and has a total of 66 loading docks. Associated Wholesale Grocers distribute groceries to stores across the Midwest. The Kenosha center serves stores in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio, accommodating the company’s growth in those states. The greatest challenge was schedule. Due to weather, we could not break ground until April 4, 2008 and the project completion was the end of the year. There were also many soils issues since the ground was saturated and remediation added costs and time to the project.
Fast Track Schedule Highlights
- Delivered on an expedited 9-month schedule
- Associated Wholesale Grocers approached our team in early December of 2007 to build a 250,000 SF freezer and 500,000 SF dry storage
- They required that the building be complete by Mid January of 2009
- Design Meetings commenced the first week of January 2008
- Riley scheduled a meeting with the Mayor and City Administrator of Kenosha to review the rules in place for permitting. Riley proposed a plan that would bend the rules, but not break them. The plan enabled foundations to start prior to the retention pond being completed. This plan saved 2 months on the schedule
- Site and Operational plan submitted and approved by the City
- State approval for the project submitted and approved.
- Wetlands on the site were mitigated.
- An agreement was made with an adjacent property owner to run storm sewer across their property and we also worked with the railroad company to get permission to bore under the railroad tracks.
- Had numerous meetings with Kenosha County to discuss the access on to County Hwy H and County Hwy L. By physically meeting with them we were able to speed up the process of creating a plan.
- Construction Documents were created, MEP’s were design-build.
- A GMP was created. Final costs were 3% under the original GMP.
- Fast Track Construction
- Broke ground Mid April 2008
- The project was substantially complete by Mid-January 2009